Since 2016, thousands of Cameroonians have fled the country and are seeking asylum in the United States. The reason? A civil war.
As a result of unfair treatment by their Francophone counterparts, in September 2017, separatists from the Anglophone territories of the Northwest and Southwest regions of Cameroon, declared their independence. As a result, thousands of Cameroonians have died.
The civil war is the result of years of marginalization of the Anglophones (English Speaking population) by the Francophones (French speaking population). In fact, approximately 80% of the population is composed of Francophones and the remaining 20% is comprised of Anglophones.
Cameroon's government is largely controlled by the Francophones and the Anglophones have felt isolated from the process. Even though turmoil has been going on for a long time, the most recent violence stems from a peaceful protest in Yaounde which was organized by English speaking lawyers and teachers due to the fact that the Francophones were forcing the Anglophones to assimilate into the Francophone legal and educational institutions.
Instead of allowing these protests to continue, the government cracked down by arresting and killing a number of the protestors. This action by the government only served to embolden those Anglophones which were calling for an independent state.
As a result of the growing tension in Cameroon, thousands of Anglophones have had no choice but to flee the country and seek asylum in the United States. Sadly, ever since appearing at the U.S. border, ICE has largely kept these individuals remain detained for months at a time before having an opportunity to bring their case before an immigration judge. Since 2016, a fair number of asylum cases have already been granted and many of these Anglophones are now living as an asylee in the United States.
Attorneys at Liberty Law Group have had an incredible opportunity to represent these individuals in immigration Court and have, so far, won every single asylum case involving a Cameroonian. If your loved one is seeking asylum in the United States and looking for a competent lawyer to represent them in their immigration proceedings, give us a call and let us represent you!
Chris lives in Alexandria, Louisiana where he enjoys playing with his girls and being the best husband he can possibly be.